« BACK

Medical Management and the Millennial Manifesto

*Click* … *Click* *Click* *Click* – I, a self-admitted millennial, pitter-patter away on the illuminated screen of my cell phone. In a quick 10-minute subway ride, I can find 5 different orthopedic providers across manhattan and compare them.

Millenial using phone

As we millennials grew up, the seemingly over-abundance of technology moulded our perception of how readily available information should be. As a result, we oftentimes assume other aspects of our lives should be the same, but this isn’t the case in the medical industry … yet. Cloud technology is slowly enabling healthcare companies to intertwine patients into their processes, but for millennials, we already expect this. Even while writing this blog, I can stop writing and pick it up from any computer in the world because of cloud technology. In my mind, this is how life should be – the technology is here, so why aren’t we using it?

Growing up during the ‘tech boom’ created a generation that trusts in technological development and the brilliant minds that continue to push its limits. In a recent survey by Ambra Health, 77% of individuals ages 18-34 trust in cloud technology, whereas only a mere 49% of those 55+ do. That leaves 51% of the older generation resisting what I’m calling the ‘millennial manifesto’ – the innate desire to bring the most up-to-date technology to all sectors of industry.

It doesn’t stop there. Not only do millennials expect information to be present in the cloud, but it needs to be easy to get. An astounding 80% of millennials consider medical record access and ease of scheduling when selecting a provider.

Flashback to my ride on the subway – I’ve found my physician of choice and have set my appointment. I emerge from the underground labyrinth that is the New York subway system and make my way to the doctor’s office. Here, in the palm of my hand, accessible through my phone, I should have my entire medical history securely and readily available so the physician standing before me can most adequately diagnose me.

This unprecedented shift in ideology is catalyzing a new sub-industry of medical image management in the cloud. By bringing cloud-technology into the medical industry, organizations ranging from 5 employees to over 10,000 employees have put an end to the negative externalities associated with traditional image management.

Why then – is online viewing and exchange present in just 17% of total medical image movement? The answer – the medical industry is tapering on the precipice of change, like a roller-coaster sitting atop the final drop. Once the benefits are realized and inhibitions subdued, cloud technology will sweep the industry.

Image management, once an impediment to efficiency, is becoming a vital asset to both the organizations themselves as well as prospective patients.

«
»

About Jonathan Holland

Jonathan received his BA in Economics from the the University of Virginia. He enables healthcare providers to manage and store data in the cloud as a Sales Development Representative at Ambra Health. He loves ‘dad jokes’ and interesting science facts (preferably about space). When he’s not craving a chocolate malt milkshake, he’s pondering advantageous business decisions or daydreaming about traveling the world. His favorite greeting is a wave so if you see him waving, it’s not at the person behind you, but at you … so wave back.

Medical Imaging Software Buyer's Guide

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *